The sun has been showing off lately! I remember going out last week and thinking to myself how being out under that scorching sun without a sunscreen would have been very bad for my skin. Sunscreen, also known as sunblock and suntan lotion, is a lotion, spray, gel or other topical product that absorbs or reflects some of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation and thus helps protect against sunburn. Diligent use of sunscreen can also slow or temporarily prevent the development of wrinkles and sagging skin – Wikipedia. It is recommended to use sunscreen that has broad-spectrum protection, that is, it protects against both UVA (aging rays which can lead to premature aging such as fine lines or dark spots) and UVB rays (burning rays which are the primary cause of sunburns), has an SPF of 30 or higher and is water-resistant.
I have used about 3 sunscreen brands that are fantastic and read awesome reviews about some other brands too. So, here are my top 5 sunscreens for oily skin and especially the Nigerian weather.
- Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ – This oil-free sunscreen lotion for sensitive skin goes on evenly, absorbs quickly, and feels ultra light, all while providing superior broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection. It’s also formulated with PureScreen® Technology, a blend of 100% naturally sourced sunscreen ingredients free of fragrance, dyes, oils, and irritating chemical ingredients, so it’s gentle enough for sensitive skin. It’s been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance™ for persons with eczema or sensitive skin conditions.
- Origin A Perfect World™ SPF 40 Age Defense Moisturizer with White Tea – This super-charged, oil-free moisturizer with antioxidant-rich White Tea surrounds the skin in a protective bubble to help delay the appearance of signs of aging. Barrier-boosters Edelweiss and White Birch help strengthen skin’s barrier to defend against & neutralize the damaging effects of pollution, Infrared Rays, ozone and other environmental aggressors. Plus, it delivers a healthy helping of hydration with SPF for UV protection. So skin stays youthfully vibrant.
- Oriflame Sun Zone Lotion Face and Body SPF 30 – Effectively protects delicate skin against sun damage and premature skin ageing. Provides high level of sun protection.
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin SPF 60 Sunscreen – Absorbs pore-clogging oil, even in heat and humidity, and won’t cause breakouts. It’s made with Cell-Ox Shield™ XL antioxidant technology, has 100% oil free, dry touch texture and broad spectrum SPF protection.
- Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 60 Sunscreen – Soft, sheer sunscreen lotion with multi-layer protection from UV rays & free-radical damage. Great for all skin types and can be used on the face and body.
How To Apply
- Apply sunscreen generously 30 minutes before sun exposure.
- Re-apply every 2 hours.
- Reapply frequently, especially after sweating, swimming or towelling.
Sunscreens are must-have beauty products especially during these sunny days! I recommend you wear one (alone or under your makeup) before leaving the house whether you’ll be under the sun or not and if you’ll be out longer, please reapply about 90-120 minutes after first application. Some sunscreens appear ashy (the titanium-based ones) and look darker, just make sure you are using the right one for your skin tone and type. Please treat your skin nicely, so it won’t ”surprise” you later in life. Do you wear sunscreen? What are your fave brands?
Hugs and Kisses,